Monday, March 9, 2015

It is in giving that we receive...

Today was our first day constructing houses. When we arrived at our worksite, (house #2) our group was greeted by the woman who we were building the house for and her family. Immediately she embraced each one of us, even though she did not know us, she was already grateful for the work we had not yet done.

We worked for the majority of the morning, and just before lunch, the receiving family brought us slices of watermelon. The extreme level of poverty that these people live in everyday hit me hard. I could not believe that anyone could live like this. This family has nothing and yet they gave us all they could offer. Even thought they lived in such devastating conditions they were happy. It made me think how grateful I am for all the blessings in my life. Today I was reaffirmed that happiness does not exist in material processions, but in the little gifts from God and our human interaction. It is in giving of ourselves through loving others that we receive and share in the joy of Christ's love. Even if we have nothing, we have God.

-Brady Fehringer

No comments:

Post a Comment